Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mr. Monday Night

The award goes to Philip Rivers who is really picking up the slack with L.T. banged up. He put up 3 more scores Monday against the Jets raising his season total to 9. Rivers is a hard player to root for with his childlike antics on the field but he is really coming into his own. For all of the 1st round QB busts we see, 2004 is looking like a terrific class. Manning and Roethisberger have won superbowls and Rivers may not be far behind. Compare that with the class of 2006 when the big 3 were Leinart, Young and Cutler. Cutler looks to be the next great NFL QB but Leinart and Young may both be on their way to bust status.

I know this is going off on a tangent considering this is only the Mr. Monday Night Post, but it's good to see the next crop of NFL QB's starting to step up. There are a lot of mediocre to bad QB's in the league which is amazing to me considering that it is the most glamorous position in sports (see Brady, Tom). You would think that it would be easy to find a capable QB. It's not...not even close. Roethisberger, Cutler, Rivers, Eli, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Trent Edwards (yep. I said Trent Edwards) will continue to carry the league as Brady, Peyton, Favre, Hasselback and McNabb get older. I even like what I have seen from Matt Ryan so far. I'm hopeful for the future of the position. I hope the Jason Campbell's continue to improve, I hope the Jake Delhomme's continue to be steady and underrated, and I hope the Kurt Warner's (and maybe J.T. O'Sullivan's) continue to come from no where. Nothing is worse for the NFL and their franchises than bad QB play, just ask a Kansas City Chiefs fan right now.

No comments: